So following the big Academy Award nomination announcements, we have a new weekend for movies where Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the sole film to catch my attention. I’ll go further into why in the actual review, but this is something a lot of people have been hyped for and others (me included) came into sort of dreading.
But first, a reminder of what my grading system for movies works like
- S Grade; 5.0 Stars: The Best Film I’ve Ever Seen, Everyone Has An S Graded Film
- A+/A- Grade; 4.0/4.5 Stars: One Of The Best Films Of The Year, If Not All-Time
- B+/B- Grade; 3.0/3.5 Stars: Worth A Trip To The Theatre For First Viewing
- C+/C- Grade; 2.0/2.5 Stars: Watch From Home For First Viewing
- D+/D- Grade; 1.0/1.5 Stars: Don’t Bother Watching This At All If You Can Help It
- F Grade; 0.5 Star: One Of The Worst Films Of All-Time
With all that out of the way, lets get to the review already...
- The Plot: Determined to ensure Superman’s ultimate sacrifice was not in vain, Bruce Wayne aligns forces with Diana Prince with plans to recruit a team of metahumans to protect the world from an approaching threat of catastrophic proportions.
- My Review: This is basically an attempt to redo the 2018 film JUSTICE LEAGUE, a film that has been claimed to have been butchered after director Zack Snyder had personal tragedy lead to his departure from the project half-way through filming. I myself didn’t care much for that version of the film, giving it a C+ on social media at the time. However I wasn’t a believer that Snyder getting to finish would have helped the film that much. This triggers what I believe to be an almost cult-like response from Snyder’s biggest fans, who have been claiming conspiracies over any negative news for this movie and in my opinion at times resorted to harassment during the campaign to get this cut of the film done. That all said I have to give this film a fair shot and I sat through all four hours (helpful that it was the only major new release this weekend) and this was what I came away with…
There was no reason to do another version of this film because this cut wasn’t any better in my opinion to begin with. It wasn’t worse, but that’s not saying much given how mediocre a product the previous version already was anyways. I don’t know where to begin here. Maybe I’ll start with the fact the film’s four hour runtime which in theory should help with the pacing of the movie makes this feel dragged out, especially towards the end when the film has what feels like multiple epilogues. I ended up thinking the film needed a new cut that would have helped it flowed better instead - so let’s get #releasetheluiscut trending. Furthermore, the movie’s writing and dialogue has not gotten any better, still cringe inducing and at times coming off like mediocre fan fiction. The acting is okay enough I guess, and Snyder does deliver his usual top notch visuals every now and then, but he still comes off like a kid stuck in a grown man’s body who doesn’t have someone there restraining or filtering his bevy of ideas.
Ultimately I came away asking was there a point to allowing the constant fan harassments of social media accounts to have this version finished and released? Was there a point in doing this re-do of a film already made? And honestly I came away after four long hours with the answer of “No.” I’m sorry to the Snyder fans who think the guy is flawless, but I honestly don’t get why this film has gotten some of the positive reviews its gotten. Its a longer, more bloated version of an already mediocre film. Its where it belongs on HBO Max as a straight to streamer and I’m sure glad I didn’t have to waste a trip to the theatre on this. C+ for the bloated and forgettable ZACK SNYDER’S JUSTICE LEAGUE. Watch it at home to get your rocks off if you’re a Snyder fan, but for the love of God stop wasting our time with this "mediocre “vision” of Snyder for these DC characters.